Welcoming a new puppy or kitten into your family is an exciting time, and the team at Paradise Animal Hospital wants to ensure your new furry family members receive all the love and care they need during this joyful and important period of mental and physical development.
Keep your new pet healthy and safe
- SOCIALIZATION - Every household member is encouraged to spend quality time with your new furry friends. This includes playing, feeding, and grooming. Many sounds and activities in the home take getting used to: doorbells, a mail carrier, the TV and noises from cell phones. Give your pet time to become familiar with these sounds. Another key part of socialization is learning to be alone. Train your pet to accept time in their crate or gated area by taking a walk or being in a room without them. It is important to refrain your pets from socializing with other pets until they have received their necessary vaccinations.
- ESSENTIAL VACCINES - Remember, the natural immunities passed at birth to young animals by their mothers last only a few weeks. A series of vaccinations will continue to protect against disease and help to ensure your pets grow up happy and healthy. Veterinarians recommend immunizing puppies and kittens at approximately 6 to 8 weeks of age.
- MICROCHIP YOUR PET – Be prepared if one of your pets gets lost! It’s a scary experience and is more common than you’d expect. Veterinarians encourage pet parents to have their pets microchipped and provided with identification tags. This is also the time to make sure all the information is up to date. Click here to request an appointment with your veterinarian to microchip your new loved ones.
- PET LICENSE – Obtaining a license for your pet also helps ensure your pet is easily identified and returned home quickly and safely. Most municipalities require pet licenses around the time of your puppy or kitten’s first rabies vaccination.
- WELLNESS PLANS – Our Paws4Wellness programs offer valuable savings and convenient 12-monthly payments for continuing health and wellness care for your new pet. Check out our Paws4Wellness options here.
We are always available to answer your pet ownership questions about care, feeding, housebreaking, socialization and more. Please call us at (410) 777-5309 .